Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Holly Golightly Nails!!!

My aunt recently sent me a polish I've been wanting for a while: China Glaze For Audrey! As Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my favorite movies, and Audrey Hepburn is one of my favorite actresses, I had to have it.

The manicure design was a no-brainer. It popped right into my head. It featured Holly Golightly and her cigarette holder - iconic images from the movie. I just had to do a Google search to find the image I wanted to use. Once I had it, I began my painting with a base coat and then 2 coats of For Audrey.

While they were drying, I made my decals. I considered using black polish, but decided it would be too complex for me. Instead, I painted 2 coats of topcoat onto a sticker sheet in 2 patches. The first topcoat I used was the China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat my aunt sent me. It was a little too fast! After about 7 minutes it became brittle, so it wasn't a viable option. Next, I tried the L.A. Colors Base Coat/Top Coat. This one stayed flexible after 30 minutes.


I drew the silhouette and cigarette holder on the clear polish decals with a black Sharpie. Then, I painted the silhouette's shape onto my ring finger with Nailene French Manicure White. I also painted the cigarette directly onto the decal. After they dried a bit, I peeled off the decals and placed them Sharpie-side down. I did this so it wouldn't mess up the drawing when I applied the final topcoat. I used the China Glaze topcoat, which brightened the color a little bit as well!

As I was typing this, I got a package in the mail. It was my matte coat I ordered from Copious. It's NYC Matte Me Crazy, and it only cost me a penny! (If you want a $10 credit just for joining, click here!) Since I didn't do anything special on my right hand, I tested the new matte coat on all my fingers. It dried almost instantly. I really love the effect! Then I got an idea. I added non-uniform droplet shapes on top with topcoat to represent the rainy scene at the end of the movie. It's herd to see the drops in the picture, but they're so cute!


I really love how this manicure turned out. It is even more perfect than I imagined! What movie would you like to see inspire a manicure?

2 comments:

  1. How about the new hot movie "Majic Mike"! Let your imagination run away with you on this one!! It's not classic inspiration but it's something!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the movie is supposed to be about. I just know tummies are involved, and they're my favorite! I would probably do a themed set of abs, but I just don't have the colors. :(

      Delete